6: Visas and Immigration

As an international student coming to study in the United States, there are some important rules and regulations that you need to be aware of. This section explains the steps you need to take to obtain a visa, and it will also explain some other important rules and regulations that you will need to follow during your time studying at UH Hilo in the United States. If you’re from one of the Compact of Free Association nations—Palau, the Marshall Islands or the Federated States of Micronesia—you do not need a visa to enter the United States. So most of this section does not apply to you. You can skip toward the end of this section where we talk about Social Security numbers, because the section on social security number does apply to you.

Don’t hesitate to contact the International Student Services office at UH Hilo if you have any questions. We are here to help, and we hope to see you in Hilo soon!