7: Health Requirements

There are several health-related matters you will need to do both before you come to Hilo and after you arrive. The State of Hawai’i has strict health regulations that UH Hilo students must follow. These laws are in place to ensure the public health of the campus community.

Health Requirements Form

Before you attend classes, you must be meet certain health requirements. You must provide proof that you have received immunizations for MMR (measles, mumps, rubella), varicella (chicken pox), and “Tdap” (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertusis). You should send documentation of these immunizations to the UH Hilo Student Medical Services. Or you can have a doctor fill out the Health Requirements Form and send it to the UH Hilo Student Medical Services. If you have not had these immunizations, or if you are not able to provide records to prove that you have had them, you can get the immunizations in Hilo. Please be aware that there will be a fee for these immunizations and you may need to go to a pharmacy in Hilo to get them.

If you plan to live in the residence halls (dorms) on campus, and if you are 21 years old or younger, you must also provide proof that you have been vaccinated with MCV (Meningococcal Conjugate). You will not be able to move in to the residence halls until you provide proof of the MCV vaccination.

You should send in the documentation of immunizations or the Health Requirements Form as soon as possible. The information on the form is kept confidential.

Click here for more information about the MMR vaccine—including in Japanese, Korean and Chinese.