5: Money and Banking


There are a limited number of scholarship opportunities for international students.  There is one scholarship opportunity for incoming undergraduate students on F-1 student visas and other scholarships available for students after they complete their first year at UH Hilo.  The scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate outstanding academic performance.  For more information about scholarships for international students, please visit the scholarship section on the International Student Services and Intercultural Education website.

International exchange students are only eligible for scholarships through the Center for Global Education and Exchange depending on the exchange agreement with the partner school.

Students from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Palau and the Marshall Islands are eligible to apply for U.S. federal financial aid.  You should also apply for scholarships from your home government.  Be aware that the maximum amount of a Pell Grant is not enough to cover the cost of your tuition, fees, housing, books, etc.  So you will need to try to get a scholarship from your home government and/or have money from family to meet all of your expenses.  If you are not able to pay for all of your expenses, you will not be able to continue in school.